Whyshould an athlete see a sports chiropractor?
- A sports chiropractor specializes in structural biomechanics and jointmanipulation. Every athlete must work his/her biomechanical system in harmonyfor optimum function.
- Athletes are fine-tuned machines. A minor breakdown in just one part ofthe athlete's body could mean the difference between participation and beingsidelined - the difference between victory and defeat.
- The chiropractic rationale for joint manipulation is based upon thebiomechanical and physiological function of joints. Normal joint movement hasbeen shown to be an essential and key factor in assisting all other soft tissue(muscle, tendon, ligaments, nerves, etc.) to remain health.
- Sports chiropractors deal with posture imbalances, muscular imbalances,overuse and misuse syndromes. This unique approach of using joint manipulationcan therapeutically act to reduce structural dysfunction.
- Early detection of structural dysfunction using joint play (movement ofthe joint that occurs beyond the active and passive motion) can only bedetermined by an examination from a chiropractor who uses motion palpation toassess each joint. Motion palpation is a technique that determines the specificmovement of joint play within the joint's structure.
- Proper chiropractic diagnosis and care for the athlete can improverange of motion, coordination, balance and muscle function, and result in fewerperformance injuries.
Traditionalsports medicine practitioners focus on two types of joint movement: active andpassive. Sports injuries often receive the classic sprain or strain diagnosis,along with the standard medical treatment. Many athletes, knowingly orunknowingly, have accepted the limitations imposed by this approach. But thereare many athletes who have refused to accept the standard orthodox approach andsought treatment from sports chiropractors instead.
Theapproach of sports chiropractic is different. Many athletes claim that regularand/or specific manipulations by their chiropractor have led to dramaticincreased performance levels. That's why athletes are some of chiropractic'smost loyal supporters.
Everyathlete should have all joints examined for specific joint play early in thetraining process. Ultimately, sports chiropractic can improve the overallperformance of the athlete.
Ifyou have questions about sports chiropractic, send us an email, or callus at (504) 456-9296.