Back Pain, Lower Back Pain, Low Back Pain
Nearly 80% of Americans will experience low back pain during their lifetime. Of these, 3% to 4% of are temporarily disabled and 1% of the working-aged population will become disabled completely or permanently. Back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office exceeded only by upper-respiration infections.
Studies show that when back pain is not treated, it may go away temporarily but will most likely return. Chiropractic spinal manipulation (adjustment) is a safe and effective treatment for various types of back pain. It reduces pain, decreases the use of medication, and rapidly advances the positive effects of exercise therapies.
How Our Doctors Can Help You
If you visit Provance Chiropractic clinic because you are experiencing back pain:
- You’ll receive a thorough examination by our doctors to determine the structure(s) involved
- If the structures are identified to be joint biomechanical imbalances or spinal disc injury, specific chiropractic manipulation (adjustments) can be performed
- We utilize physical modalities such as Interferential Current, Electric Muscle Stimulation, and Ultrasound Therapy to treat the affected region(s), to help diminish pain, swelling and muscle spasms
- A proper rehabilitation program is necessary to strengthen the muscles for optimal support and to prevent recurrent episodes of pain
- Our doctors will discuss proper workplace ergonomics and activities of daily living to help decrease unnecessary stressors on your back
Did you know?
A patient information article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association suggested chiropractic care as an option for people suffering from low back pain, noting that surgery is usually not needed and should only be tried if other therapies fail.
Spinal Disc Injuries
Someone with a spinal disc injury usually has had previous episodes of neck or lower back pain. However, this injury can be sudden, causing local seizing muscle spasms and can lead to accompanying radiating pain. This pain can occur in the neck or back and may accompany pain down the arm or leg.
What is a Herniated Disc
Abnormal intervertebral discs can be classified as dehydrated, bulged (bulging) or herniated (herniation). Herniated discs are commonly broken down into degrees of severity and are classified as:
- Protruded (protrusion)
- Extruded (extrusion)
- Sequestered (sequestration)
- In addition, aged and degenerated discs can be considered desiccated, meaning they have hardened and dried up.
How Our Doctors Can Help You
Our treatments for disc conditions vary according to the degree of the injury.
- Chiropractic manipulation (adjustments) of the region to restore segmental motion, circulation of nutrients via blood flow, and to improve healing of the disc
- Evidence suggests chiropractic manipulation (adjustments) combined with therapeutic exercise can help manage disc conditions
- Our doctors may utilize the Leander Flexion Distraction Table, which aids in relief of spinal disc conditions. Flexion-Distraction is designed to separate the joint surfaces and elongate the surrounding soft tissues
- We also utilize physical modalities such as Interferential Current, Ultrasound Therapy, and specific spinal healing exercises (rehabilitation).
- Additionally, our doctors can prescribe lumbar orthosis (back braces), TEN’s units, topical lotions and nutritional supplements.